Features & Benefits
- Filters up to 1,000 liters (264 gallons) of water
- Removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria (>LOG 6 reduction), including E-Coli
- Removes 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites (>LOG 3 reduction), including Giardia & Cryptosporidium
- Reduces turbidity, filtering down to 0.2 microns
- Ultralight: weighs only 2oz!
- Does NOT use iodine or iodinized resin
- Contains no chemicals (and is BPA-free), uses no batteries, has no moving parts
- Very high flow rate; no after taste (because no iodine or chlorine are used)
- Easy to clean. Can be stored and used periodically. Just keep uncapped so it can dry thoroughly.
- Very durable
- No shelf life. LifeStraw can be stored indefinitely. (Former shelf life estimates have been revised.)
- Used worldwide in harsh conditions since 2005
- Award winning & internationally recognized
For every LifeStraw® water filter sold, we provide a child in Africa with clean water for an entire school year.
When you purchase any type of LifeStraw® filter, we use part of the funds to donate LifeStraw® Community institutional water purifiers to schools in Africa. LifeStraw® Community is specifically designed to deliver clean, safe water to school children by removing waterborne pathogens and dirt commonly found in source water.
Since 2014, we provided 316,000 school children or 631 schools in rural Kenya with safe, clean drinking water, thanks to sales of LifeStraw in North America. Thank you for supporting this mission!
What LifeStraw removes/filters:
LifeStraw filters down to an incredible, 0.2 microns in size! This removes virtually all the bacteria (99.9999%) and protozoa (99.9%) from contaminated water, and reduces turbidity (muddiness) by filtering out suspended particles.
Bacteria removed include:
- Escherichia coli,
- Vibrio cholerae,
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa,
Protozoa removed include:
- Giardia lamblia (“Beaver Fever”)
- Cryptosporidium Parvum
- Entamoeba histolytica.
- Length:9 inches
- Width:1 inch
- Weight:2 ounces
- Construction:durable plastic. Does not require replacement parts or batteries, or any chemicals.
- Capacity: filters up to 264 gallons (1000 liters) of water.
- Included: Comes with a lanyard, and a cap for the mouthpiece and end piece
How to use:
The patented LifeStraw is a small tube with specialized filters inside. Place one end in unfiltered water (a glass, water bottle, river, or puddle!), and suck the resulting clean water up through the top. Anyone who can use a drinking straw can easily use a LifeStraw.
Before use, uncap the LifeStraw and hold it upright in water for a minute. This allows the water to creep up the filter membrane. Then do five quick sucks and the water will flow easily. When drinking from muddy water, you may have to blow back down into it to purge out the turbidity if the flow slows or stops.